A PROJECT ON SCALING UP AND REPLICATING SUCCESSFUL SUSTAINABLE LAND MANAGEMENT (SLM) AND AGROFORESTRY PRACTICES IN THE KOULIKORO REGION OF MALI.
After developing the project proposal on scaling up and replicating successful sustainable land management and agroforestry practices in the Koulikoro region of Mali, ASCENT now is carrying out the role of executing agency for this GEF funded project.
This Multi-Focal Area (MFA) Project will concentrate on the Sustainable flows of services in agroecosystems, through integrated landscapes management practices and by mainstreaming biodiversity conservation and sustainable use in the production landscape.
The objective is to upscale sustainable land management to combat land degradation and biodiversity loss while strengthening the capacity of local communities for replicating the SLM and good agroforestry practices in the semi-arid areas of Koulikoro region, Mali.
This will be achieved through a) Upscaling of SL/WM on agricultural and rangeland systems (GDT) b) Diversifying livelihoods and improving community living standards (AGR) c) Capacity building (ONG, local communities) to enhance resilience to climate change to increased understanding of GHE and the need for climate mitigation measures d) Knowledge Management & M&E
The expected outcome of the project is as follow:
- Reduced land degradation, improved soil health and increased productivity of agro-ecosystems
- Improved land productivity and community living standards
- Resilience capacities of all stakeholders enhanced and/or strengthened
- Enhanced awareness capacity of local and national stakeholders, including communities and institutions, to sustainably manage natural resources and to resolve land use conflicts
- The conditions required for efficient scaling of project outcomes are met.
As the executing agency, ASCENT will avail special expertise to assist the country of Mali in implementing this project in cooperation with key national stakeholders, through appropriate actions based on the best effective, efficient, sustainable strategies.